[rrd-users] Updating more than once per second using rrdcached

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Mon Jan 10 22:50:54 CET 2011

Today Simon Hobson wrote:

> Tobias Oetiker wrote:
>
> >well, actually you can update in milli second resolution, its just
> >your stepsize that is limited to seconds ...
>
> So all this time we could have been using `date +%s.%N` for
> timestamps. Not that I'm wanting to, but I can't recall having ever
> seen anything to suggest other than integer second resolution.

hi hi ... well if you used N: the precision has been high for a
long time already, The reason for this is that some people are
tracking satellite trajectories (or something along these lines)
and they found that they introduced noticable jitter by rounding
their data acquisition times to the nearest second.

cheers
tobi