[rrd-users] Help needed - tell me what I am doing wrong :-(

Philip Peake philip at vogon.net
Sat Jan 15 15:29:17 CET 2011

On 1/14/2011 5:52 PM, Eduardo Bragatto wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2011, at 11:36 PM, Philip Peake wrote:
>
>> Note graph starting at ~33.6 million, rather than 0.033.
>>
>> Although this is a COUNTER, there is nothing there that looks like a
>> reset.
>> There is even a U inserted as the first value, just to be safe.
>>
>> What an I doing wrong???
> Nothing, actually. You did not get 33 million, you got 33 mili (or "33
> * 10^(-3)"), which is exactly what you expect.
>
> See parameter -X from rrdtool graph to tweak how the units are handled:
>
> http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrdgraph.en.html
>
> If you don't want any units to be used, just use "-X 0" in your
> rrdgraph call and you will get a graph with Y axis displaying numbers
> like "0.033" instead of "33 m".

Ok ... added -X 0

    rrdtool graph hour/req.png -X 0 -a PNG --title="Production Directory
    Server Operations Requested" \
    --vertical-label="Operations/sec" -w 700 -h 200 -s -7200 \
    'DEF:centos=db/req.rrd:centos:LAST' \
    'LINE1:centos#0000ff:centos'

which generates this graph:

Not certain that a graph with all zeros on the Y axis is much of an
improvement :-)