[rrd-users] ERROR: attempting to write beyond end of file

Stefan Brandl smb at r-kom.de
Tue Jan 18 09:06:21 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 08:46:26AM +0100, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> Yesterday Stefan Brandl wrote:
>
> > As far I can see, this is already implemented in 2170.
>
> yes it is ...
>
> > With mmap disabled the error is gone,
> > but with mmap I still get:
> >
> > noc at lowrider:~$ /opt/rrdtool-1.4.5.002170/bin/rrdtool create tester.rrd DS:inet:GAUGE:600:0:U RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600
> > noc at lowrider:~$ /opt/rrdtool-1.4.5.002170/bin/rrdtool resize tester.rrd 0 GROW 100
> > ERROR: attempting to write beyond end of file
> > noc at lowrider:~$
>
> beats me ... I can not reproduce this here ... and valgrind can not
> find a fault either ...

Hm very strange, but at least one other user has the same problem:
http://osdir.com/ml/debian-bugs-dist/2010-07/msg05757.html

> what is realy strange about this error is, that it is not a system
> messsage but rather an internal check in the rrdtool code which
> thinks there is something wrong ...

Can I do anything to debug this?
While writing this E-Mail i did some tests.
2170 with mmap disabled works as expected, no error ist given.
And now the "strange" thing:
If I create a rrd file with mmap enabled (or any older version
of rrdtool) I get the above error when resizing.
Despite of the error, I get a resize.rrd.
And the resulting resize.rrd doesn't differ from the one
created with 2170 with mmap disabled.
So the error message seems just to be cosmetical and no real error.

Stefan