[rrd-users] Question with 1-hour samples

Jason iknowjason at pobox.com
Thu Jan 20 15:32:45 CET 2011

On 01/19/2011 01:07 PM, Simon Hobson wrote:

<<
I assume you've been reading Alex's
tutorials(http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/), the one on
normalisation is very important.

Actually, I haven't seen those.  They look really good.  I'm going to do
some more research and testing, and get back to the list and let you
know what I've found.  Thanks for those.

<<
Again, I only see AVERAGE there, no hint of MAXIMUM. Max of average
is NOT the same as max of max. If you have the three values above
(20,40,30) and they 'filled' a consolidated data point, the average
over the period would be 30 and the max would be 40. If in the
graph/fetch you then max of an average consolidation will be 30, max
of a maximum consolidation would be 40.

I'm beginning to suspect that my problem is not understanding and
therefore using the CF functions correctly on my data, for MAXIMUM
versus AVERAGE.  That is why my 5-minute averages look correct to me
(and what I'm intending to do), while my 1-hour averages are not what
I'm trying to achieve with my graph.

Will get back to this list with either what I've learned from the
resolution, or further questions.  Of course, after I've researched and
tested this further.

Jason