[rrd-users] Graph labels - repeating Nov '10 twice

Shawn Heisey rrd at elyograg.org
Tue Jan 25 17:11:08 CET 2011

A few days ago, I got help from this list in graphing a per-day rate.
I've been working on that, and I've got it working pretty well.  I
rebuilt my RRD using the naming suggestions that I got.  Now I'm having
a different problem.  I'm trying to manipulate the x-grid so the base
grid is weekly and the major grid is monthly, and running into a problem
with the labels.  It has Nov '10 on there twice, and what should be Jan
'11 is labeled Dec '10.  If I leave the -x off, the gridlines are
correct, but the labels are "Week nn" which doesn't do me any good.

Here's the commandline:

rrdtool graph count.png -w 800 -h 250 --end now --start end-180d -t
"Solr Document Delta" -v "Index Growth" -x "WEEK:1:MONTH:1:MONTH:1:0:%b
'%g" DEF:dsdoc=/opt/ncindex/lib/rrd/doc_counter.rrd:dsdoc:AVERAGE
CDEF:perday=dsdoc,86400,*  LINE1:perday#0000FF:"Docs Per Day\l"

Here's the resulting graph showing the label problem (there's no data in
the new RRD yet), generated a few minutes ago:

http://www.elyograg.org/count.png

I'm running rrdtool on an up-to-date CentOS 5 system with the rpmforge
repository added.  The full package name is rrdtool-1.4.4-1.el5.rf.x86_64.

I figure this is probably a documented bug, but I can't find it.  Is
there a workaround or a fixed package for CentOS?

Thanks,
Shawn