[rrd-users] Fwd: start time

Andreas Maus a.maus at science-computing.de
Fri Jul 1 14:15:06 CEST 2011

Hello.

man rrdfetch says something about the format -s accepts:

"--start|-s start (default end-1day)
  start of the time series. A time in seconds since epoch (1970-01-01) is required.
Negative numbers are relative to the current time.
By default, one day worth of data will be fetched.
See also AT-STYLE TIME SPECIFICATION section for a detailed explanation on
ways to specify the start time."

So -s 3600 is not valid, except you are trying to access data from Thu Jan 1 01:00:00 UTC 1970

So you should use an unix timestamp (e.g. -s 1309512280) or use a negative number
to specify a relative offset.

HTH,

Andreas Maus.

On 07/01/11 14:08, fadwa salam wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm sorry to bother you again, I tried what you sent me. It gives me the following result:
> period=300
> time=3600
>
> end=`date +%s` gives =====> end=1309521104
>
> end=$(( ( ${end} / ${period} ) * ${period} )) =====> after this operations it gives end=1309520880
>
> time=$(( ( ${time} / ${period} ) * ${period} ))=====> time don't change after operations time=3600
>
> start=$(( ${end} - ${time} ))=====>  this operations gives the value of start start=1309517280
>
> it shows ok, but when i run rrdtool fetch it does not accept the value 3600
>
> rrdtool fetch $rrd AVERAGE -r $period -s $time =====> ERROR: start time: did you really mean month 3600?
>
> thank you very much.

Dipl.-Ing. Andreas Maus             science+computing ag
System Administration               Hagellocher Weg 73
tel.: +49 7071 9457 671             72070 Tuebingen, Germany
fax: +49 7071 9457 411              www.science-computing.de
--
Vorstand/Board of Management:
Dr. Bernd Finkbeiner, Dr. Roland Niemeier,