[rrd-users] Graphing

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jul 12 00:40:41 CEST 2011

The rrdtool database is designed to accept a constant flow of data points at
a regular interval (eg, every 5minutes, although you can do it every 5
seconds) and you can then use functions in the library to produce graph
images  on demand.

If you data are coming in at irregular intervals, or are not
time-series-based, then rrdtool may not be the right database for you to
use.

There is a large amount of online documentation available for you to read on
the rrdtool website; I'd suggest you work through this and familiarise
yourself with the system first.  If you have specific questions about a
particular aspect of rrdtool use then post them here; very generic questions
will just get you referred to the documentation as none of us have time to
explain everything in detail when you don't have the foundation knowledge
required.

Take a look at MRTg/RRD to see what sort of graphing you can do real-time -
demo at
http://www.steveshipway.org/cgi-bin/routers2.pl?rtr=switches%2Fswitch.cfg
<http://www.steveshipway.org/cgi-bin/routers2.pl?rtr=switches%2Fswitch.cfg&x
gtype=d&if=itss-sx-s-254.net.steveshipway.org_3>
&xgtype=d&if=itss-sx-s-254.net.steveshipway.org_3

Steve

  _____

Steve Shipway

ITS Unix Services Design Lead