[rrd-users] gap in graph in case of UNKNOWN value

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 00:17:54 CEST 2011

Simon,
I'm sure it's showing zeros- when the network outage started, HDD
temperature value went from previous value directly to zero. If I had
a network outage and server was unreachable to a machine where
rrdtools runs, following data was written to RRD:

# rrdtool fetch HDD.rrd AVERAGE -s 1307061000 -e 1307075400
                         HDD

1307061600: 2.8986899863e+01
1307062800: 0.0000000000e+00
1307064000: 0.0000000000e+00
1307065200: 0.0000000000e+00
1307066400: 0.0000000000e+00
1307067600: 0.0000000000e+00
1307068800: 0.0000000000e+00
1307070000: 0.0000000000e+00
1307071200: 0.0000000000e+00
1307072400: 0.0000000000e+00
1307073600: 0.0000000000e+00
1307074800: 1.0011661112e+01
1307076000: 3.3748035371e+01

1307061600 is just before the outage and outage was over since
1307074800. RRD was made with a following command:

rrdtool create HDD.rrd \
--step '60' \
'DS:HDD:GAUGE:120:0:150' \
'RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:2:1440' \
'RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:20:1008'

If any additional information is needed, please ask!

Am I correct, that in my case there are zeros written to the RRD in
case of UNKNOWN value? If yes, how to change this behavior?

regards,
martin