[rrd-users] minimum "step" value of RRD?

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Fri Jun 10 00:34:44 CEST 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 01:27 +0300, Martin T wrote:
> What is the minimum "step" value for RRD? The reason I'm asking is
> that I would like to make an availability graph for one host and I
> would like to check this host at least after every 10s.

One second is the minimum step value. If there is any "jitter" in when
you will be adding to the RRD when using a one second step, you should
either use the "N" timestamp format, or seconds.mmm  milliseconds
format, or you run the risk of rrd_update complaining that you are
trying to update the RRD more often than once a second.

rick jones
just a noob who has wandered into that part of the woods.