[rrd-users] Noob questions about number of rows to create.

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Mon Jun 13 19:58:33 CEST 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-13 at 13:44 -0400, Craig Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm tying to create and RRD for keeping track of an Ethernet interface
> at intervals of 15 second, and I don't know how many rows to keep for
> the 1 min, 5 min, 15 min, 1 hour, and 1 day averages I am keeping.
>
> Would someone please explain to me how to pick a proper amount of rows
> for an archive

That is like asking how long one should make a length of string.  It
really depends on what *you* want to be able to do with the data.

In my presumably uncommon case I want three days of 1 second averages
and then keep some number of weeks and months of 10 second and 1 minute
(from memory, the other two RRAs aren't as important to me so I don't
have it mesmerized at my fingertips as it were).

rick jones