[rrd-users] Get specific value? And convert number?

bubble1975 weiler at soe.ucsc.edu
Wed Jun 15 15:51:00 CEST 2011

Hi y'all,

I'm relatively new to rrdtool and had a few questions on how to use the
'rrdtool fetch' utility.

I'm using rrdtool 1.3.8

% rrdtool -V
RRDtool 1.3.8  Copyright 1997-2009 by Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch>
               Compiled Jul 22 2009 13:40:59

Is there a way to pluck a single value from a rrd file from a specific time?
I guess I'm trying to do something like this:

% rrdtool fetch /scratch/rrd/my_rrd_file.rrd LAST -s -1 week -e -1 week

to grab one exact value from exactly 7 days prior.  I seem to get this
however when I run that command:

ERROR: start (1308145548) should be less than end (1308124800)

Is there a way to grab a specific date/time, exactly 7 days ago from
whatever the current time is?

One other question - is there an easy way (in perl hopefully?) to convert
the numbers you find the the rrd file to 'readable' numbers?  Like, how to
convert '1.8200000000e+02' into a 'normal' number?

Thanks for any insight!  I looked back through the archives but didn't find
anything immediately on these topics...

Cheers,
erich