[rrd-users] Timezone error with UTC + local TZ

Jan vakavakajeje at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 14:11:05 CEST 2011

Hi all!

I had 5 RRD file on 64 bit Linux/Centos:

2 in/out GAUGE type (it's all fine) and 3 with up/down DERIVE RRD files with
time zone problems.

Server in CET time zone, but changed server time to UTC.
Before this all was fine.
RRD version: 1.2.27, not changed, cannot update to new version.

What RRD uses GAUGE type, this 2 file correct:
 - correct CET time zone show in last update
 - graphs are correct

3 RRD files with DERIVE type:
 - normally show UTC time in last update, like if now 11 hour, see in 9 hour
because in CET, Central European Timezone is -2 hour UTC because of summer
time zone, normally only 1 hour difference.
 - in 24 hour (1 day) graphs in right side of graph 2 hour size is empty.

hour is empty.

Workaround for 3 RRD files: i generate graph with: --start=now-93600sec
--end=now-7200sec
(start=now-26h end=now-2h)
But last update still show in UTC, I can convert it with date fix.

My question:
 - Any better solution for that?
 - Why this 2 RRD fine, why other 3 RRD are not correct? It's depend on
GAUGE/DERIVE type? I deleted correct RRD and after new generated with UTC
still fine.
 - Try to set TZ before CLI run RRD but noting changed. If I try TZ=CET
date;date  - I show correct CET in first, but no effect for RRD; I tried set
TZ with export but still nothing.

Thanks, Jan.