[rrd-users] how to collect+graph: time of motion detection

wvaku wivaku at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 12:41:43 CEST 2011

Here's a beginner's question, I did quite a bit of experimenting and
searching but could not find the solution yet.

The scenario: every time motion is detected in a room, the date+time is
recorded.
I would like to store+visualize this data using rrdtool.

I have a script that creates epoch timestamps for each time motion is
detected, e.g.:
1307173403:1
1307186145:1
1307265801:1
(value is always 1: at that time 1 motion was detected; it could be that
motion is detected multiple times in a minute, but it can also be that there
is no motion in for days in a row)

I would like to visualize:
the number of motions per hour/day/week/month/year
If there's motion detected only on 1x tuesday morning and 1x friday
afternoon,
then it should show for that week: 2.

I am unclear about various values:
- -s: I can expect data per second, does this mean -s = 1?
- I only need one DS, let's call it "motion"
- heartbeat: I only care about the values entered, any other second slots
should be NaN.
  So: heartbeat = 1?
- min/max: only value allowed is 1, so I guess min/max are 1/1
- for the RRA:
  - CF: I can choose from MIN/MAX/AVERAGE/LAST, but how does it store the
total?
  - XFF: if data for an hour is {1,1,U,U,U,U,U,...}, then the graph should
show 2,
    should XFF be 0?
  - I would like to store CF's 1 minute for 1 day, 1 hour for 1 week, 1 day
for 1 year

Once this is set correctly, the graph values need to be set, have not looked
at that yet.

Do you have a settings for create and graph that would be applicable for the
above scenario?

Bonus:
Besides the regular graphs, I would be interested in e.g. hour of day, or
weekday. This to see that for the last year most motion was detected e.g.
around 9:00am, or on Mondays.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!