[rrd-users] Graph strange lag on datas

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Mar 7 18:06:33 CET 2011

Tntteam wrote:

>I have a strange behavior on my graphs.
>

>Here is the data source I use to generate the graph :
>
>http://img11.imageshack.us/i/image001ki.png/
>
>As you see I inserted manually a 10 value to generate a high point
>in the graph.
>
>The timestamp 1299062660 is 11:44:20 (GMT +1)
>

>Now is the output rrd graph :
>
>http://img534.imageshack.us/i/image002pjf.jpg/
>
>And my rrd definition :
>

>rrdtool info 1.rrd :
>filename = "1.rrd"
>rrd_version = "0003"
>step = 60

In RRD databases, ALL intervals are based on Unix epoch (midnight 1st
Jan 1970 UTC). So your steps all end on the minute - not at 20s past
the minute. SO your burst to a higher value is normalised so that 40s
worth goes into the period ending at 11:44, and the other 20s worth
goes into the next step.

So your graph is quite correct.

For more detailed explanation, see Alex's tutorials at :
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/
in particular the one on normalisation and consolidation.

BTW - full marks for providing the exact data used for the test, the
definition of your file, the actual output, and a description of what
you expected. Most people omit 2 or 3 of those items !

--
Simon Hobson