[rrd-users] Out of memory restoring a big dump file

Karl Fischer rrd-users at ficos.de
Tue Mar 22 12:41:01 CET 2011

Am 22.03.2011 11:44, schrieb Fabio Di Bernardini:
> Hi,
>
> I get this error while restoring a dump file of about 870 MB:
>
> root at server:# rrdtool restore rrd_big_dump.xml file.rrd
> parser error : out of memory error
> parser error : out of memory error
> rrd_big_dump.xml:638822: parser error : out of memory error

Hi Fabio,

xml files are bulky and most of the parsers try to do it all in memory.

If you don't have enough physical memory (RAM) to get that job done,
try to increase your swap space. Either add a spare partition as swap
partition or create a (temporary) swap file.

see: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-add-a-swap-file-howto/
Follow steps a-d. You will probably want(need) to create much more
than 512MB so adjust the size in step b accordingly.

However, that only works on a server you own. If it is a hosted
vServer, most likely that's not going to work.

I just tried the restore of your file on one of my boxes.
It wasn't that bad. rrdtool used about 220 MB of memory ...

hth

- Karl