[rrd-users] Slow collection runtimes occurring regularly

Simon Hobson simon at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon May 2 20:04:22 CEST 2011

Joshua Keroes wrote:

>Is our theory correct, that the RRD consolidations may be causing
>these long runtimes

It would be logical that each time a "bucket" is completed, then
additional processing will happen in order to do the necessary
normalisation and consolidation.

>, and if that's the case, is there a way to evenly
>stagger the consolidations over time so we can better distribute RRD
>update load?

You cannot offset the consolidation times as everything is referenced
to unix epoch (Midnight 1st Jan 1970). However, if it is just system
load you are concerned about, can you delay feeding in some update
values a bit ? As long as you use an explicit timestamp in the update
statement, then it doesn't matter what actual clock time the update
is submitted to rrd - as long as you maintain the right sequence of
updates.

--
Simon Hobson