[rrd-users] rrdcreate via rrdcached?

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed May 11 00:10:25 CEST 2011

> > FWIW, we're using the trunk version of RRD 1.4 (
> >  rrdtool-1.4.99911011600 ) with rrdcached in our live MRTG system,
> >  using the rrdcreate and rrdinfo functions, and are experiencing no
> >  problems despite it managing over 20,000 RRD files.
>
> Out of curiousity, how often are you updating those files?

Data updates come in every 5min for each DS.

The rrdcached is started with these parameters:

/u01/rrdtool-1.4.uoa/bin/rrdcached -s mrtg -m 0660 -l unix:/var/tmp/rrdcached.sock -l mrtg.auckland.ac.nz -l localhost -z 60 -p /var/tmp/rrdcached.pid -t 4 -j /u01/rrdtool/journal -b /u01/rrdtool -w 1800 -O -a 6

The journal sits at about 25MB with these settings; there are also implicit flushes of some data caused by the Routers2 frontend for MRTG, the Network Weathermap data collection, and other dashboard features but these are a small fraction of the full RRD count.

Steve

Steve Shipway
ITS Unix Services Design Lead
University of Auckland, New Zealand
Floor 1, 58 Symonds Street, Auckland
Phone: +64 (0)9 3737599 ext 86487
DDI: +64 (0)9 924 6487
Mobile: +64 (0)21 753 189
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail