[rrd-users] RRD error at DST shift on sparc Solaris?

Todd Gehrke TGehrke at telecomsys.com
Fri Nov 11 00:24:03 CET 2011

I see in the rrdfetch man page there is a DST warning saying "If you
specify time offset in days, weeks, months, or years, you will end with
the time offset that may vary depending on your time reference,... 1 day
may be not equal to 24 hours twice a year, when DST-related clock
adjustments take place...."

I used seconds for all the offsets when the DS was created.

                                dataToKeep=`expr $rraDaysToKeep \* 86400
/ $step`

                                rraString="$rraString
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:$dataToKeep"

                                if [ $step -lt 1800 ]; then

                                                valuesPerHalfHour=`expr
1800 / $step`

halfHourValuesToKeep=`expr $rraDaysToKeep \* 48`

                                                rraString="$rraString
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:${valuesPerHalfHour}:${halfHourValuesToKeep}
RRA:MAX:0.5:${valuesPerHalfHour}:${halfHourValuesToKeep}"

                                fi

                                if [ $step -lt 3600 ]; then

                                                valuesPerHour=`expr 3600
/ $step`

                                                hourValuesToKeep=`expr
$rraDaysToKeep \* 24`

When I said that everything was in epoch, I was implying that none of my
scripts use localtime or a named time offsets. All my data is inserted
using an epoch time and my rrdfetch uses "-s <epoch>-300".

So is it the case that if my system is running with a TZ offset that
twice a year RRD is going to return an error?

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this message may be privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, or responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, any review, forwarding, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication or any attachment(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, and delete it and all attachments from your computer and network.