[rrd-users] Holt--Winters - learning phase / poisoning algorithm

Crypty mrazek.tomas at seznam.cz
Wed Oct 12 21:18:59 CEST 2011

Hi,

I would like to know an answer for this:

if I run HW prediction algorithm, it's collecting data for a day at first.
Since than, it's saving HW predicted values and after next day it presents
failures... I understand that...

During these two days it is important to have the network or whatever
without any aberrant behaviours because it could learn these patterns
badly...

What am I wondering is: If I am e.g. collecting data for a week and now a
failure occurs, will it be counted into a HW prediction in the future? Or by
tagging it as a failure it won't be counted in to the future prediction?
It's about, that even if I have a network without a failures from the
beginning, than a failure occurs, will HW prediction learn this and will it
tag it as a failure next day again?

Long story short - does the algorithm learns all the time so it could even
learn bad patterns or are they automatically discarded as they are tagged as
failures?

Thanks a lot in advise...