[rrd-users] SVG interaction on RRDs graphs

Richard Wall richard at the-moon.net
Tue Sep 6 01:08:54 CEST 2011

On 2 September 2011 15:42, Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> wrote:
<snip>
> one problem of this aproach is, that the rrd data format is
> different depending on the architecture where rrdtool is running

Tobi,

Yeah, I know this ought to be a problem, but actually it hasn't bitten
me so far.

All my RRDs are generated on Linux x86 (32 and 64bit) and these seem
to be parsed fine by the javascriptRRD library on Windows 32 / 64,
Linux x86 32 / 64 and MacOSX.

Maybe its just luck.

Do you think the idea of parsing the RRD files in javascript is
completely doomed, or are there combinations of RRD source
architecture and client arch that will generally work?

I read your portable RRD wiki page which sounds promising.

 * http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool-trac/wiki/PortableRrdFormat

> ... if you used rrdtool xport in the backend you would get to a
> more portable solution where you can even save bandwith by doing
> some of the processing serverside ...

Yes, I'll certainly give that a try.

Thanks.

-RichardW.