[rrd-users] Not a simple unsigned integer

Ryan Kubica kubicaryan at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 01:29:28 CEST 2012

Negative numbers for GAUGE or Counter types?

If Counter, that could be signed 32bit counters (31bit numbers with 32 sign bit being a count back up from from -31bit to 0) ... rrdtool doesn't quite get that calculation correct so I correct for it before inserting into rrdtool.  The only counters of this type I've run into are WMI and WebLogic, but that's just an aside.

If Gauge, not sure.

How large is largish?  I don't suspect rrdtool will want a negative counter that is larger than 32bit since it does seem to try and do the signed 32bit counter rollover math.

and I don't know why your use of it would change, maybe it wasn't complaining before ... it's been a long time since I've used 1.3.

I suggest you play with an rrd datafile and insert numbers to see exactly what breaks and if you believe it's a bug/missing-feature then post about it with the details.