[rrd-users] RRDtool spread values by time on rrd, how to turn off this behavior?

Daniel Hilst danielhilst at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 15:19:48 CEST 2012

When I do an update on some rrd file the rrdtool -- or something --
spread my input value by time.

Here is how I reproduce:

1) Create my rrd with this command
rrdtool create --step 10 test.rrd DS:v:GAUGE:600:U:U RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:50

2) The feed it with:
rrdtool update test.rrd 1334578211:10
rrdtool update test.rrd 1334578221:0

I get
1334578210 9.000000
1334578220 1.000000

The RRDtool have spread my values, so 9 + 1 = 10, Its cool, but some
times I want 10, then 0.. Is there a way to turn this feature off for
specific rrd file?

If update rrd on 10 multiples then it works as I expect, so If I did:
rrdtool update test.rrd 1334578210:10
rrdtool update test.rrd 1334578220:0

I would get
1334578210 10.000000
1334578220 0.000000

I'm using collectd so I cant round up epoch..

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

--
Follow the white rabbit!