[rrd-users] Calculating AVG, treating UNKNOWNs as zero

Derek Haynes derek.haynes at highgroove.com
Wed Aug 1 22:54:13 CEST 2012

Hi Simon/Alex,

> use a CDEF like b=a,UNKN,0,a,IF

I don't believe this works as I'm fetching from a larger step size (30
minutes) than the RRA (1-minute) and the CDEF performs the RPN logic
on the DEF at the 30-minute step. At this point, the average already
is ignoring the unknowns.

> Details may vary, depending on the information you left out, but IMHO this
> is the path to your solution

Thanks - based on the high-level summary I outlined, your solution
works. However, there's a performance reason why it won't for our
setup:

* Before updating a file, I don't know when the last update occured.
We're updating many files at once - for performance, we want to avoid
reading the lastupdate of each RRD file before updating to determine
if we need to proceed the update with time-60:0. If a file received an
update in the previous minute, updating again with zero will result in
an error.
* At most, we update these files once per-minute. Updating w/an
UNKNOWN one-second prior is always safe.

Any thoughts?

Derek

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 3:21 AM, Alex van den Bogaerdt
<alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl> wrote:

> [...]

Derek Haynes
Scout Web Monitoring and Reporting ~ http://scoutapp.com
Blog ~ http://blog.scoutapp.com