[rrd-users] RRA/RRD tuning

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Mon Aug 13 15:24:05 CEST 2012

Hi Christoph,

Today Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:

> Hey Tobi.
>
> Well actually this would belong on the rrd-devel list but as we've
> already started here...
>

> On Sun, 2012-08-12 at 16:44 +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> > > Ok... if all that is correct... I think it would make perhaps sense to
> > > add this somewhere to the documentation, doesn't it?
> > > At least I couldn't directly read out that information from what I've
> > > found :)
> > patches are always welcome ... especially if they help other people
> > understand how rrdtool works
>
> Attached is a file with some elaborate discussion on:
> - Overview on RRAs
> - Tuning of RRDs via its RRAs

from a content point of view your notes look fine

you have to work on the english though ... tuneing may not be the
word you are looking for in your context ... optimizing might be
better ... maybe you could structure it by objective:

* optimizing update time
* optimizing storage space
* optimizing graphing time

> It misses:
> - We might add which CF is faster...
> I mean MAX/MIN are likely just comparisons and are therefore a tiny bit
> faster (CPU wise) as e.g. AVERAGE (which I guess includes some adding
> and dividing?).

I don't think that this will make much of a difference compared to
disk I/O

> - any further information, especially tuning ideas via RRAs their
> settings or any other settings within the RRDs themselves

You do not realy elaborate much about how to choose the RRA sizes
for optimizing reading operations ...

> - your consent that it's correct ;-)

as I said ... the language needs work

> Are you going to add/format it for the manpages? If I should do it,
> please tell me which (or whether it should become a new one, and which
> name then).

the format for rrdtool documentation if perls POD format ...

I guess a NOTE section in the rrd create document might be helpful

but if you expand this further, you may also create your own page
and add a link to it to the rrd create page ...

cheers
tobi