[rrd-users] A reason there isn't a CF SUM function?

Derek Haynes derek.haynes at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 17:47:55 CEST 2012

Several times on the list, the topic of a CF SUM function has
risen...just a sample:

http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/forum.en.html#nabble-td1059458
http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/forum.en.html#nabble-td1059458
http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/forum.en.html#nabble-td1059458

I'm in need of a similar CF SUM function and I was curious if there
isn't one because (1) there's a fundemental reason why it's not
provided or (2) it just hasn't been implemented.

For reason (1), the common argument is you can calculate this by
multiplying the average by the duration of the CDP. However, this
doesn't hold when a CDP contains unknowns as the average is only based
on the known values.

The TOTAL operator does exactly what I'm looking for but it's only for
VDEF statements.

Any thoughts?

Derek

--