[rrd-users] A reason there isn't a CF SUM function?

Derek Haynes derek.haynes at highgroove.com
Wed Aug 22 18:59:52 CEST 2012

Tobias,

> in any event, on a technical level, what would be required to
> achieve what you want (appart for the handling of unknown periodes
> within a single step) would be an AVERAGE_UNKNOWN_AS_ZERO
> consolidation function ... this would not break the assumptions
> about the nature of RRAs and you could calculate your type of SUM
> easily ...

Makes sense.

>   a + unknown = a

This seems to have been addressed in other areas (ADDNAN / TOTAL
w/VDEF) both appear to treat unknowns as zero. An AVERAGENAN operator
for a CDEF would seem to complete the loop.

Any suggested starting points for adding this to rrdtool? I haven't
dug through the source before.

Cheers,

Derek

--