[rrd-users] rrdtool usage questions

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl
Fri Feb 3 16:42:25 CET 2012

> thanks for the clarifications!
> I'm going to do more tests but I think I've managed to do what I've
> wanted,
> only one thing though that I'm still struggling: graphs periods
> I've read some tutorials and wrote some code to test graphs in general,
> but
> I'd like to know if its possible to generate a graph with specific periods
> for a specific time
> like that:
> 2012-01-03/2012-01-04 on an hour step

If I should read this as "starting on january 3, 2012, ending but not
including january 4, 2012", then it is 24 hours. That would mean 24
intervals, a whole multiple of 24 pixels would be nicest.

You don't have to do this, but it makes things easier and more reliable.

If you mean both days: n * 48 pixels, same story.

> 2011-01-01/2011-02-01 on a daily step

Idem dito? One month, 31 days in this case, a whole multiple of 31.
Or (31+29=) n*60 pixels.

> 2011-01-01/2012-01-01 on a month step

A month is not a month is not a month...  No, you can't do this (with
RRDtool)

A month is 28 days, or 29 days, or 30 days, or 31 days, or any of these
numbers plus or minus an hour, or 30 minutes, or whichever DST difference
applies. There is no such thing (in RRDtool) as "a month".