[rrd-users] Need workaround for rrdtool on Solaris 8

its khandu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 04:23:11 CET 2012

Hey Guys

So here is the issue..

Our current rrdtool which is running on Solaris 8 boxes is 1.0.37

We are moving our system to RHEL5. Now I installed the packages in there and
the rrdtool which got installed is 1.4.5

Now there is a central server which is still going to be on a Solaris 8 box
which collects all rrd DB from various boxes and generates graphs. That
version is 1.0.37.

1) Issue 1

When the older version tries to generate graph for the .rrd DB of new
version I get the error

ERROR: can't handle RRD file version 0003

It still generates the graphs for existing other older .rrd DB but NOT for
the ones created by the 1.4.5 version (I guess incompatibility)

2) Issue 2

Then we installed CSWrrdtool on Solaris 8. It installs the version 1.4.2

When this is run on all the old and new .rrd (created by .37 on Solaris and
.4.5 on RHEL) we get the following error on ALL db (old and new)

"ERROR: LINE width is out of range in line"

On google I found this:
https://www.opencsw.org/mantis/print_bug_page.php?bug_id=4380

So this issue does not generate graph for ANY .rrd when using 1.4.2 on
Solaris 8

So our setup is going to be

1) All db created on RHEL machines
2) All DB collated on a Solaris 8 machine and graph is generated

How do I fix this? N00b on compiling and manual installation of rrdtools

The code we use to generate rrd DB is

/usr/bin/rrdtool create opstats.rrd \
	DS:ADD:ABSOLUTE:600:U:U \
	DS:BIND:ABSOLUTE:600:U:U \
	DS:CMP:ABSOLUTE:600:U:U \
	DS:DEL:ABSOLUTE:600:U:U \
	DS:MOD:ABSOLUTE:600:U:U \
	DS:MODRDN:ABSOLUTE:600:U:U \
	DS:SRCH:ABSOLUTE:600:U:U \
	RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600 \
	RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:700 \
	RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:775 \
	RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:797

All the code was written long time ago by someone else..

Is there anyway we can fix this issue? Probably best way will be to fix the
one on Solaris 8??

Any help will be great!!!