[rrd-users] recover from logged incorrect time

Otheus otheus+rrd at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 12:22:56 CET 2012

I have a related problem.

On our server we're running RRDtool 1.4.4

Remote monitoring servers connect to the RRDtool via TCP socket; rrdtool is
configured on the server to run under xinetd in 'remote command' mode.
Everything works fine most of the time.

Once every few days, one or more servers will show that the last-update time
is maybe one hour in the future. I fixed this once using the
dump-edit-restore method. But that's not a solution for the long-run.

The "correct" RRD databases show a timestamp which matches the wall-clock
time according to perl's localtime() function. The incorrect one(s) will
show a timestamp of about +3600 seconds.

Is there a known problem with rrdtool in command mode that would lead to
such clock skews? Could it be that ntp running on both hosts would interfere
with rrdtool?