[rrd-users] recover from logged incorrect time

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Sat Feb 25 03:30:16 CET 2012

On 02/24/2012 02:28 PM, Steve Shipway wrote:
> We run ntp on our RRD/MRTG servers here, since time sync is so
> important, and I've never had this sort of issue.
>
> Are you sure that you're not getting a time synch issue with NTP
> rather than with RRDTool?  I don't know where you're ntpsynching
> from, or your ntpd params - maybe make sure that ntpd is set so it
> will not change the clock if is seems to be more than 1min out of
> synch (which would indicate an NTP issue).  A 1-hour error seems as
> if some server is confusing daylight savings time with the real
> time... if your servers are simply using ntpd to come to a consensus
> on time (via broadcast) rather than all synching from a single
> specified trusted source, a misconfigured server pushing out
> incorrect times somewhere on your network *might* do this?

That seems like an excellent opportunity to recount how NTP
configuration best practice is to have at least four NTP servers
configured - to allow for one to go away and still have three so the bad
clock heuristics can still do their thing.  And that NTP does everything
in UTC and cares not for timezones.

rick jones