[rrd-users] using xml files as input into rrdgraph to generate image

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Jan 19 23:02:19 CET 2012

Jimmy Lu wrote:

>We try to use multiple server to collect different data and export
>xml files, then  send to one machine to create graph image. Is it
>possible to use exported xml files as input into rrdgraph to
>generate graph image?

No. The only way you could do it would be to write a program that
would parse the XML, create an RRD file, and insert all the data into
it. Then you could graph from the rrd file.

Have you considered rrd cached ?
http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrdcached.en.html

I've found it works quite well to allow updates from multiple
machines to rrds stored on one central machine. In my case, I have a
logger/monitoring box that runs various stuff, and my two border
routers send traffic information to it using cached.

Run cached on the machine you want to plot the data on, and on the
machine generating the data do the normal rrdtool update, but add the
"--daemon <ip address>" option to it.

--
Simon Hobson