[rrd-users] Average value over last ten minutes?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Jul 9 10:59:00 CEST 2012

Jack Bates wrote:

>But is it possible to create an RRA with one ten minute
>average, updated every minute?
>
>i.e. I want the most recent average of 12:00-12:10, 12:01-12:11,
>12:02-12:12, etc. and not the most recent average of 12:00-12:10,
>12:10-12:20, 12:20-12:30, etc.

No, that won't work.
In an RRD database, every period starts an integer multiple of it's
length since Unix epoch (midnight, 1st Jan 1970, UTC). So if you
define an RRA that (in your case) aggregates 10 one minute PDPs to a
single CDP, then those CDPs will always start/end on the hour, 10
past , 20 past, and so on. You cannot have one that starts/ends at 1
minute past the hour.

SO the only way to achieve what you want is to store 1 minute samples
and computer the 10 minute average when needed.

--
Simon Hobson