[rrd-users] Counter Overflow

Patrick Best Patrick.Best at telus.com
Mon Jul 16 15:14:56 CEST 2012

Hi Walter;

I believe there is no such option.  It would be a good feature request though.   Also, another request that would be similar would be for the ability to wrap on a time-basis, ie., hourly.  In the meantime,

You have 2 alternatives to deal with the situation:

1) Modify the rrd datasource to have a max-limit imposed, so that any value over XXXXX will result in NaN,

Example of removing the maximum, however, the principle is the same:

root at cacti2:/usr/share/cacti/rra# rrdtool info onhood-srvr-32-logeng01_linux_mem_buffers_20059.rrd
filename = "onhood-srvr-32-logeng01_linux_mem_buffers_20059.rrd"
rrd_version = "0003"
step = 300
last_update = 1339789212
header_size = 2040
ds[mem_buffers].index = 0
ds[mem_buffers].type = "GAUGE"
ds[mem_buffers].minimal_heartbeat = 600
ds[mem_buffers].min = 0.0000000000e+00
ds[mem_buffers].max = 1.0000000000e+07
ds[mem_buffers].last_ds = "25144"
ds[mem_buffers].value = 3.0172800000e+05
ds[mem_buffers].unknown_sec = 0

root at cacti2:/usr/share/cacti/rra# rrdtool tune onhood-srvr-32-logeng01_linux_mem_buffers_20059.rrd --maximum mem_buffers:U

root at cacti2:/usr/share/cacti/rra# rrdtool info onhood-srvr-32-logeng01_linux_mem_buffers_20059.rrd
filename = "onhood-srvr-32-logeng01_linux_mem_buffers_20059.rrd"
rrd_version = "0003"
step = 300
last_update = 1339789212
header_size = 2040
ds[mem_buffers].index = 0
ds[mem_buffers].type = "GAUGE"
ds[mem_buffers].minimal_heartbeat = 600
ds[mem_buffers].min = 0.0000000000e+00
ds[mem_buffers].max = NaN
ds[mem_buffers].last_ds = "25144"
ds[mem_buffers].value = 3.0172800000e+05
ds[mem_buffers].unknown_sec = 0

Or,

2) Create a CDEF to ignore values above XXXXX and instead graph the last-known-good.

cdef=CURRENT_DATA_SOURCE,50000,GT,PREV,CURRENT_DATA_SOURCE,IF

Patrick Best
Sr. Systems Analyst
Network Support and Operations (NSO)
TELUS