[rrd-users] current value greater than max

akafritz kevin.hamel at take2games.com
Thu Jul 26 20:42:22 CEST 2012

Hello

I have a graph that is printing out values several datapoints, including
CUR, AVG, AND MAX.  The values in this rrd are always increasing (e.g.
unique users), so the CUR and MAX should always be the same.  For some
reason, the CUR occassionally is slightly larger than the MAX:
cur: 920.24   max: 920.20k
cur: 852.14   max: 852.12k

Looking at the one of the graph functions, I see the cur value is being
pulled from the rrd as last value from AVERAGE, and the max as MAX directly
from the rrd.  This seems to be the standard way these values are retrieved
and printed, but I have no idea how this works such that the values are
sometimes different (and I'm being asked how this is possible).  Any ideas
how I can explain (and not necessarily change or fix) this?

DEF:users-raw=data.rrd:ds0:AVERAGE
DEF:users-raw-max=data.rrd:ds0:MAX
CDEF:users=users-raw
AREA:users-raw#00cc00ff:Unique Users:STACK
GPRINT:users-raw:LAST:cur\:%5.2lf%s
GPRINT:users-raw:AVERAGE:avg\:%5.2lf%s
GPRINT:users-raw-max:MAX:max\:%5.2lf%s\j