[rrd-users] rrdtool update

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Jun 1 12:47:22 CEST 2012

[Digital^Dude] ® wrote:
>I want to update these two values:
>
>1338480000: -3.0293609367e+06
>1338480300: -2.0135146667e+04
>
>to ZERO.

Top posting fixed ...

Simple, you cannot do this.
You can **NEVER** go back in time with RRD. Once
you apply an update at any time, then you can
never submit an update for an earlier time.
When you do an update, several things happens :

1) RRD will to the necessary calculations to work
out the rate from the previous update to this one.

2) If the new time is such that one or more steps
or consolidated periods are now complete, then
these will have data entered for them.

3) Any data (such as previous update values) not
now needed to do the same calculations next time
are discarded. The last update values are kept as
they will (in most cases) be needed to do the
same calculations at the next update.

There are only two ways to go back and submit new data :

1) Delete your database, create a new one, and
re-enter all data. This means keeping all your
data somewhere outside of RRD so you can change
values and resubmit them - in chronological order.

2) You can dump the RRD to an XML file and edit
the values before reading the XML into a new RRD
file.

In theory it would be possible to directly edit
the RRD file, but there are no tools for that.
You could also just dump the data with "rrd
fetch" - but then you'd need to do some work to
select which data to use, potentially do some
interpolation, and then stuff it back into a new
RRD with a series of updates. Potentially a lot
of work, and again, no tools for it.

--
Simon Hobson