[rrd-users] rrdtool with C++

Benny Baumann BenBE at geshi.org
Mon Jun 4 00:20:47 CEST 2012

Hi,

Am 31.05.2012 20:24, schrieb Khanh Nguyen:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a student and trying to use rrdtool for my project on C++. I'm
> having a hard time to figure out where I can get rrdtool library.
http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/download.en.html

For Debian/Ubuntu you need the librrd*-dev packages alongside the
rrdtool main package in order to compile software which uses RRDTool.
> I have researched the mailing archive but some links on the threads
> are outdated. For the same reason, I had outdated rrdwrap.h and rrdwrap.c
Cannot reproduce ;-)
> Can anyone show me where to grab the latest version of rrdtool library
> for C++?
Just use the C version. When including into your cpp file  be sure to do
something like this:

extern "C" {
#include <rrdtool header files>
}

Although this shouldn't be necessary (the additional extern "C" block).
If it is maybe Tobias should consider adding this block inside the
header files of the distribution for all exported function and variable
declarations.
> If you can also provide me a tutorial link for C++ or C, it would be
> awesome.
Not directly a tutorial itself, but the bindings for RRDTool I updated
have a small example of what to pass to every function. You can find
everything at http://blog.benny-baumann.de/?p=1192 (German).

@Tobias: Would be nice if you could update the link on alternate
bindings on your homepage as IMHO the binding you referenced on the
homepage is outdated and doesn't work with PHP 5.

> Any help is really appreciated.
Hope this information gets you started.

> --
> Khanh Nguyen.