[rrd-users] recover from logged incorrect time

Otheus otheus+rrd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 11:40:09 CET 2012

NTP is and was setup correctly. Will the rrdtool (in remote command mode) use
the time of the *server* it runs on? Or of the client? If it's running on
the server, NTP cannot possibly be the problem, because only 1 of 7
databases will have the mysterious time jump. My only conclusion is that the
timestamp is incorrectly entered by the rrdtool itself, while running in
inetd mode.

So what about a buffer overrun in rrdtool that overwrites the environment,
such as the TZ variable, causing an incorrect timestamp?

For the record, the ntp setup uses a pair of local timeservers as stratus-3.
Those timeservers use stratus-2 servers on the internet.

Also for the record, we have not seen the problem since I last posted.