[rrd-users] Rrdtool for counting irregular events

j.halifax2 at seznam.cz j.halifax2 at seznam.cz
Sat May 19 21:12:29 CEST 2012

> Can rrdtool be used for measuring frequency of irregular events?

> I mean the updates would occur in irregular patterns and I'd like

> to measure the frequency of them / number of occurrences per

> some base interval.

Hi Rafal,

I would say that it depends on your events and the results

which you wish to get.

I am counting my irregular events out of rrd's and store the

current totals in rrd's after the intervals of my interest. The

graphs are self-explanatory and provide good understandings

of the behavior of the monitored process.

In other application I store occurrences of the events in the

standard intervals (300 sec.) - may be they will be mostly

zeroes - and calculate your desired frequencies over any

intervals chosen by the end user.

Everything depends on the nature of your events and results

desired by you.

Regards,

Leos.

Can rrdtool be used for measuring frequency of irregular events? I mean the
updates would occur in irregular patterns and I'd like to measure the
frequency of them / number of occurrences per some base interval.

Best regards

RG

"