[rrd-users] Splitting database and graphing functionality

Duncan.Innes at virginmoney.com Duncan.Innes at virginmoney.com
Thu May 31 11:11:18 CEST 2012

Hi,

I've been using rrdtool for a number of years now, but have recently had
it come under the spotlight from our IT Security team.

As a bank, we have a strong lean towards reducing the number of installed
packages to reduce the possible attack surface for any potential issues.

To this end, I have been asked why we need to be installing a bunch of
graphics, font and rendering packages on all our servers when all we're
looking to do is record data in RRD's most of the time.

Is it possible/feasible to split the database and rendering functions of
rrdtool into separate packages?  For example a base rrdtool package
containing just RRD management functionality and a modular rrdtool-graph
containing the rendering & graphing functions.  This would allow security
conscious users to deploy the base rrdtool package to record data across
an estate of machines and then install the extra rrdtool-graph package on
a central machine to handle the graph rendering.

Does this sound realistic?  Achievable? Worthwhile?

Thanks

Duncan

This e-mail is intended to be confidential to the recipient. If you receive a copy in error, please inform the sender and then delete this message. Virgin Money do not accept responsibility for changes made to any e-mail after sending. Virgin Money have swept, and believe this e-mail to be free of viruses and profanity but make no guarantees to this effect.

Virgin Money Personal Financial Service Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Registered in England no. 3072766. Entered on the Financial Services Authority's Register http://www.fsa.gov.uk/register/. Register Number 179271.

Church House Trust Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Registered in England no. 980698. Entered on the Financial Services Authority's Register http://www.fsa.gov.uk/register/. Register Number 204459.

Virgin Money Unit Trust Managers Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Registered in England no. 3000482. Entered on the Financial Services Authority's Register. Register Number 171748.

Virgin Money Limited. Registered in England no. 4232392. Introducer appointed representative only of Virgin Money Personal Financial Service Limited.

Virgin Money Management Services Limited. Registered in England no. 3072772.

Virgin Money Holdings (UK) Limited. Registered in England no. 3087587.

All the above companies have their Registered office at Discovery House, Whiting Road, Norwich NR4 6EJ.

Northern Rock plc - Registered in England (Company No. 6952311). Registered Office: Northern Rock House Gosforth Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 4PL. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

All products are open only to residents of the United Kingdom.

This message has been checked for viruses and spam by the Virgin Money email scanning system powered by Messagelabs.