[rrd-users] Splitting database and graphing functionality

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu May 31 11:49:27 CEST 2012

Duncan.Innes at virginmoney.com wrote:

>To this end, I have been asked why we need to be installing a bunch
>of graphics, font and rendering packages on all our servers when all
>we're looking to do is record data in RRD's most of the time.

Bottom posting and excess text clipped ...

Have you looked at using rrdcached ?
I'm not sure, but I think it may allow you to avoid installing all
the graphing stuff on everything.

In addition, you can use it across a network, so you can collect
stats on one machine, and store the database on a different one
(perhaps centralising them all to one machine). That should also help
with security since the machine doing the graphing won't need access
to the machines generating the data - the databases would be local to
it.

--
Simon Hobson