[rrd-users] Multiple Updates Per Second

Wesley Wyche wesley.wyche at verizon.com
Tue Oct 2 22:32:14 CEST 2012

I am still faced with the problem of being able to handle a huge amount of
data.  After trying several routes to a solution, I'm down to this final
issue...I need to be able to process a large amount of updates per second.

My benchmark is 250 updates per second.  Any less and I won't be able to
keep up with the volume of inbound metrics data being collected.

I have rrdcached implemented, so I'm routing all my calls to the daemon
socket.  Disk I/O shouldn't be a problem since I'm passing that off to
rrdcached to deal with whenever it needs to.

I've tried threading the updates using Perl threads, and the best I can
achieve is about 20 per second.  This is doing system calls to rrdtool
update.  I've tried the RRDs perlmod, but it crashes with a segfault (due to
the lack of thread safeness).  I have tried multiple approaches within the
perl script (system calls with an &, fork and exec, etc), but none work any
better.

Is there anyone that has had success in dealing with large numbers of
updates per second, and if so, what solution are you using?