[rrd-users] Multiple Updates Per Second

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Oct 3 04:25:06 CEST 2012

> I've tried threading the updates using Perl threads, and the best I can
> achieve is about 20 per second.  This is doing system calls to rrdtool
> update.  I've tried the RRDs perlmod, but it crashes with a segfault

We have rrdcached here, and are easily managing 50-60 updates per second (over 15,000 RRD files).  You should be able to handle much more.

Possibly you need to make sure you have enough resources to rrdcached, that it can open enough FDs, and have enough listen queue on the TCP (or are you using a UNIX socket?)

You could also increase the various params to rrdcached to increase the caching times.

You don’t say if the updates are blocking, failing, or simply running slowly.  I assume you've checked that the disk IO and CPU/mem are not the bottleneck?

Steve

Steve Shipway
ITS Unix Services Design Lead
University of Auckland, New Zealand
Floor 1, 58 Symonds Street, Auckland
Phone: +64 (0)9 3737599 ext 86487
DDI: +64 (0)9 924 6487
Mobile: +64 (0)21 753 189
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail