[rrd-users] Multiple Updates Per Second

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Wed Oct 3 16:28:00 CEST 2012

On 03 Oct 2012, at 3:52 PM, Wesley Wyche <wesley.wyche at verizon.com> wrote:

> They are just running VERY slowly.  I'm routing the calls to a local UNIX
> daemon socket.
>
> Since I am using rrdcached, I would assume that DISK has been removed from
> this equation.  Maybe my assumption is wrong.

Disk is definitely not removed from the equation by rrdcached, the use of the disk is potentially reduced, that's all.

If you make 1000 writes to 1 RRD file in a second, rrdcached will help you by reducing 1000 writes to just 1 write. If however you make 1 write to 1000 RRD files in a second, rrdcached is going to make no difference at all. Before without rrdcached, all 1000 RRD files would have been touched once, afterwards in the rrdcached case 1000 RRD files are touched once, so no change in performance.

Regards,
Graham