[rrd-users] Collect weblogic garbage collection data

Ed Donahue III ed.donahue at mavenwire.com
Tue Apr 9 20:11:11 CEST 2013

I am trying record the garbage collection (GC) times (epoch) and amount
of RAM (number) in the heap before and after.  This is my first RRD setup.

I have a script running every five mins that finds the number of GC
events in the last 5 mins plus the RAM before and after.

Here is the RRD setup:

rrdtool create HOST_gc_before.rrd --step 1
     DS:GC:GAUGE:600:0:U
     RRA:MAX:0.5:3600:1
     RRA:MAX:0.5:86400:24
     RRA:MAX:0.5:2628000:31

rrdtool create HOST_gc_after.rrd --step 1
     DS:GC:GAUGE:600:0:U
     RRA:MAX:0.5:3600:1 # hour
     RRA:MAX:0.5:86400:24 #day
     RRA:MAX:0.5:2628000:31 #month

Code to update rrd:
           rrdtool update HOST_gc_before.rrd ${epoch_time}:${mem_before}
           rrdtool update HOST_gc_after.rrd ${epoch_time}:${mem_after}

Entry examples:
Mem Before Entry: 1365507963:4672417
Mem After Entry 1365507963:7448092
Mem Before Entry: 1365508018:871185
Mem After Entry 1365508018:6190154
Mem Before Entry: 1365508145:2083074
Mem After Entry 1365508145:4876049

When I generate a graph, the graph is empty.  I see data was added to
the rrd files:

rrdtool graph gc.png --start end-1d DEF:GC=HOST_gc_before.rrd:GC:MAX
LINE3:GC#00FF00

--
Thanks,
Ed