[rrd-users] Graphing not working under CentOS 6

Kevin L. Buterbaugh kevin.buterbaugh at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 21:59:25 CEST 2013

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been covered previously … I looked thru the archives back to January 2012 and didn't see anything.

I have several scripts running on different servers at our site to collect data and dump it into RRDtool databases on a shared filesystem.  I also have a dedicated server which produces various graphs of that data and copies it to our web server.  The graphing server is running CentOS 5 using the yum installable version of RRDtool:

rrdtool-devel-1.2.27-3.el5
rrdtool-1.2.27-3.el5
rrdtool-devel-1.2.27-3.el5
rrdtool-1.2.27-3.el5
rrdtool-perl-1.2.27-3.el5

My problem is that when I try to run those same graphing scripts on a server running CentOS 6:

rrdtool-1.3.8-6.el6.x86_64
rrdtool-perl-1.3.8-6.el6.x86_64
rrdtool-devel-1.3.8-6.el6.x86_64

the scripts run without producing any errors, but the graphs contain no data (all values are "nan").  Now what I find odd is that most (maybe all) of the servers which collect the data and dump it into RRDtool have been updated to CentOS 6 and they're working fine.  It's only my graphing scripts which are having problems.  Since they produce no errors I'm not sure what other information to include that might be helpful in diagnosing this.

And yes, I realize that there are much newer versions of RRDtool available.  However, we really prefer to stick with the yum installable versions of stuff as much as possible.

Thanks in advance…

Kevin

--

"I have to give Congress this:  every time I think I couldn't possibly have a lower opinion of them, they do something to prove me wrong."