[rrd-users] Dynamic Steps

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl
Sat Apr 20 11:17:19 CEST 2013

Please just do some experiments with fake data.

Create two databases with the same property, ABSOLUTE counter type. Update
them using the same timestamps (do not use "N"), four times a second, and
make sure there is enough data to fill a couple of timeslots in your RRA.

Feed 3600 into one RRD every time, feed 1 into the other RRD every time.

You should see a rate of 14400 in the first, and 4 in the other.

Now use a CDEF to multiply 4 by 3600, and you get 14400 again. Same
resulting rate, other way to achieve it. The resulting databases have
Joules/second in the first, and Wh per second in the other. That CDEF
transforms Wh into J, because 1 Wh is just 3600 J.

Do not confuse this with another reason to multiply by 3600. You have been
asking about 'per hour' rates. If you have 1 Wh per second, constantly, then
after an hour you will have used 3600 Wh. So if you multiply a rate by 3600,
you get 'rate per hour' instead of 'rate per second'.

If your database contains Wh, and you want to know Joules/hour, then you
need to multiply by 3600 twice (or one time by 12960000, for performance
reasons).

And to answer your question about where RRAs get their data: it is already
described. PDPs are used to build CDPs. See the three phase description
again. If RRAs get their data from other RRAs, it would have been described
there.

Really, you are thinking and assuming a lot, but you do not verify this by
experimenting.

Start simple. Step==60 (meaning: every step is 60 seconds). Update with
timestamps that are a whole multiple of 60 (n*60). Start simple with three
RRAs, one using 1 PDP per CDP, one using 2 PDP per CDP and one using 3 PDP
per CDP. See what happens, and when it happens, by examining the resulting
RRD every time between updates.

Later you start updating with timestamps that are not a whole multiple of 60
seconds, e.g. at n*60+10, and you learn about normalization.

Try updating a couple of times per step (e.g. every 15 second, n*15), try
updating less than one time per step (e.g. every 5 minutes, n*300). Play
with the heartbeat setting when you do this. Set it to 600 in one of your
experiments, and set it to 60 in another (with all other parameters and
updates being equal). Why does your data become unknown? You do not need to
ask, because you will know.

There are many other experiments to think of. Whenever the result are not
corresponding with what you believe to be true, chances are your beliefs are
incorrect and you should experiment further and read more manual pages. I'm
not saying there are no bugs in RRDtool, but the topics we covered are used
by so many people that I think bugs if any have been found and solved
already, a decade ago.