[rrd-users] Adding two VDEF values together

Yannick Marquet itcsoft54 at yahoo.fr
Sat Feb 23 14:12:21 CET 2013

Hello,
>> So, a VDEF is a set of data and a CDEF is a single value, but a TOTAL
>> will be a single value?
no, it is opposite :
http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrdgraph_data.en.html#IVDEF
http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrdgraph_data.en.html#ICDEF

CDEF and DEF, are series of values, number of value depends on step
parameter an the consolidation function (/CF/).
VDEF is a single value.

You cant use CDEF without DEF or CDEF variables because you can't
calculate number of value needed for series.