[rrd-users] RRD Graphs with bad averaging of missing data?

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl
Tue Apr 8 21:21:08 CEST 2014

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Elias" <eliaschief at gmail.com>
To: <rrd-users at lists.oetiker.ch>
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 7:17 PM
Subject: [rrd-users] RRD Graphs with bad averaging of missing data?

>I will try that and see how it turns out. Can you explain why you
> suggested that? I don't understand what's going on.

It's just a hunch, based on a lot of speculation and assumptions.

You have the data, which is input to RRDtool, in text format.  Look at this.
Are the timestamps nearly, but not exactly, at a whole multiple of 5
seconds? And do you have a big XFF setting?  If so, just after an outage,
the next update is mostly in the next bucket but a tiny fraction is inside
the bucket that contains mostly the time where an outage occured.  As a
result that bucket has a very low value instead of 'unknown'.