[rrd-users] The Y-Axis is Displaying an Incorrect Unit

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Apr 22 23:58:09 CEST 2014

If I were you, I'd convert the 'minutes' to a percentage, else it will not
graph well against time.  After all, this is so many minutes over what time
interval?  What happens when you get larger granularity graphs and the
samples are averaged over larger intervals?   The graphs could be very
misleading.  Multiply by 60 (to get seconds) and divide by the time interval
in question then multiply by 100 to get a percentage utilisation...

By default, rrdtool will use a 'k' prefix when the value is over 1000, and
similarly for other prefixes.  So if your unit is '' (nothing) then at 1000
you will see 1k.  If you don't want it to do this, then try out
'--units-exponent 0 --alt-y-grid' which prevents this behaviour (using an
exponent of 3 will make everything always display in k)

Steve Shipway
s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz