[rrd-users] Creating database

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Feb 12 11:06:23 CET 2014

http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrdcreate.en.html

> I have data that is sent once every hour containing number of SMS that
> has been sent that hour.

I assume this is a "resetting count", as in if you send 5 messages in an hour, then 8 in the next hour, after the second hour your script will return 8 and not the cumulative count of 13 ? In that case you probably want to use the GAUGE data type when creating the RRD.

> I'd like, if possible, get a daily, a weekly, and a monthly graph.
>
> For they daily graph I want each column to represent one hour.
>
> For the weekly and the monthly graphs I want each column represent one
> day and have it summarize number of SMS sent each day if possible..

RRD doesn't work like that. If you want a report that says "during Mon 10th Feb your sent X messages, during Tues 11th Feb you sent Y messages, and so on" then you'll need to do some external scripting to call RRD and get individual messages - especially if you are not in the UTC timezone.
RRD will quite happily collect and consolidate the data. When graphing, it will display as many columns as you have pixels for (you tell it how many pixels wide to make the graph) and will fill those pixels with the best resolution data it has available (you define how much detail it keeps and for how long).

You could probably benefit from visiting http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/